Being the first official person focusing on user experience at Frozenbyte has been interesting. Not only have I worked in various projects, I’ve also sparked the change in the company toward a more mature design culture.
Nine Parchments (2017)
Keywords: UI design, interaction design, information architecture, accessibility, feature design, prototyping, facilitation/communication
I made the menus and chat system designed only for PC in English to work with consoles, in multiple screen sizes and languages. Read all about it.
Boreal Blade (2019)
Keywords: UI design, interaction design, facilitation/communication, production
Joined the team to help with UI and interaction design and ended up helping shepherd the team from iteration phase to polish phase of the production cycle. Read all about it.
Keywords: Style guide, atomic design, UI design, interaction design, user flow mapping, prototyping, accessibility, feature design, user research, expert evaluations, facilitation/communication, leadership
I created a style guide and interactive prototypes to help facilitate communications between UI art, UI design, and programming. I also took ownership of user research and improved research methods and practices. Read all about it.
Starbase (Early Access, 2021)
Keywords: Style guide, atomic design, UI design, interaction design, feature design
I helped implement a style guide similar to the one I created for Trine 4 for the team. Additionally, I designed an in-game tool with which players could give us feedback, report bugs, and send other messages to us, streamlining the process greatly from what Frozenbyte had in place before. Read all about it.
Trine 5 (2023)
Keywords: User research, expert reviews
I continued the work on user research I started with the team when we worked on Trine 4. Read all about it.
Keywords: User research, foundational research, competitive research, UI design, interaction design, UI engineering, team leadership, product management/production, facilitation/communication
I started as a team of one researching, designing, and improving the UX of the internal tools used at Frozenbyte. Eventually the team grew to encompass six programmers and designers with me leading them. Read all about it.
Speaking and events
- A talk on how to Turn Your Research Into Action with a Workshop at #gamesUR Summit 2023 (May 2023)
- Guest speaker on UX Processes in Game Development at Georgia Tech (February 2023)
- Guest speaker on Game UX Processes at Masaryk University (October 2022)
- Guest lecture on Basics of Game UX at Aalto university for the course Thinking Practices in art & Media (September 2022)
- Guest lecture on Game UX Work in Practice for the joint HCI program at the Salzburg University of Applied Sciences and the University of Salzburg (June 2022)
- A talk on Why doing the boring stuff you think is not your job, really is your job at #gamesUR Summit 2021 (May 2021)
- Appeared on Happy Market Research podcast and talked about the Rise of Esports and how Consumer Insights can Help (September 2020)
- A talk on the basics of UX and UR in games at IGDA Finland event (in Helsinki, March 2020)
- A workshop on creating visual listening guides (February, 2020)
- A workshop on the basics of Games User Research (February, 2020)
- Appeared on the Game UX Podcast (recorded at the Game UX Summit ’19)
- A talk on Prototyping in Trine 4 at the Game UX Summit ’19 (October, 2019)
Other professional milestones
- Content creator at @expquest on Instagram
- Organizing networking and knowledge sharing lunches for Games User Researchers at the Helsinki area
- Building and leading the GRUX Finland group into a vibrant and active community
- Co-Chair of the Industry Track at the Academic Mindtrek Conference in 2022 and 2023
- Steering Committee member at the Games Research and User Experience Special Interest Group (GRUX SIG) of the IGDA
- Chair of GRUX Online 2020 and GRUX Online 2021
- Chair of the Industry Track at CHI PLAY 2021